Tuesday, September 6, 2011

9/11 - Ten Years Later

On a sunny Tuesday morning ten years ago I was watching the Today Show as I was getting ready for work and saw the first reports of a fire at the World Trade Center.

Just a few minutes into the report I saw a plane hit the second Tower live on TV and like most others watching that day I knew that the World as we knew it had just changed forever.
Things happened fast that day and by the time I got to work the Towers had fallen, the Pentagon had been hit and Flight 93 had crashed in Pennsylvania.
Just before noon we got word that the State was closing down the College and all State Buildings and everyone was sent home.
Like most people I watched the TV reports for the rest of the day and tried to figure out what had happened and what was next.
* * *

Too many people were lost that day and I found out a few years later that I had once met one of those heroes thirty-five years ago while I was still in college.
He was the twin brother of one of my friends and I enjoyed a few beers and some laughs with him during a visit to Buffalo. 
* * *
Please take a minute to remember him and all of those who we lost on 9/11.



Geoffrey E. Guja

Age: 47

Hometown: Lindenhurst, N.Y., USA

Occupation: Firefighter, New York Fire Department

Location: Ground, World Trade Center


* * *

No comments:

Post a Comment