Saturday, March 13, 2010

Return to Buffalo

Because of scheduling of our current production and the renovations of the Tower Fine Arts Center, we had the set for our next play, “The Story” built by the UB scenic shop.
I had a chance to go back to UB two days last week and it seems strange to me as I write my blog about events that happened there over thirty years ago.
I have visited a few times over the years, but the university has changed and grown so large that I hardly recognize it.

Porter Quad

I had a little extra time and drove over to the Ellicott Complex where I lived for two years when it first opened in 1974.
The Ellicott Complex is one million square feet; six dorms, a theatre, classrooms and more.
Back when I was a student all the doors were always unlocked, but now it was mostly locked up, but I was able to get in.
I looked around a bit and went up to the second floor open plaza that runs between the many buildings of the complex.

My Sophomore year room was on the third floor to the far right

People either like or hate their design, maybe a bit futuristic at the time it opened, but the complex is still unique.
Many memories and stories, a few of which I have already shared here, came flooding back.

The huge multi-Theatre Arts Center was only a dream when I was a student there.
I was there last year for some workshops and had to laugh when I saw a few bits of equipment there were still there from my days a student.
The Set under construction in the UB Scene Shop

Last Friday I drove to Buffalo to pick up the set and returned it to Brockport where we unloaded it.
Over the next few weeks we will paint it, set it up, have a few rehearsals on it, then take the set down and truck it to Geva Theatre Center for a few performances.
Then we take it down and truck it back again to Brockport for a two week run in our Lab Theatre.


The set onstage at Brockport


When we are done with this production the set will have travel more then I have in the past few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment