Wednesday, December 8, 2010

All We are Saying is Give Peace a Chance

 Thirty years ago today I was working in Manchester, New Hampshire on a production of A Christmas Carol.

This story jumps ahead six months in my blog timeline and I will come back to it in more detail, but I wanted to talk about what happened that day.
I was the Scenic Designer and Technical Director and was also suppose to be the Lighting Designer but the company had hired too many Stage Managers so they let one of them design the lights.

I worked alone most of the time because my assistant had been cast in the play and was rarely there.
They said: “Oh, he has a small part; he won’t have to be at many rehearsals and will be in the shop with you most of the time”.
That of course was just one of many lies they told me and his part kept getting bigger each day.

After working all day in a very cold scene shop, I walked back through the cold to my very cold room in what could best be called a flop house, welfare hotel or just a big dirty dump of a house to unwind and watch some TV.
The regular place that the theater company used had recently burned downed and they struggled to find place for everyone to stay.
Again more details about my wonderful time in New Hampshire will follow.

That night my assistant and I were watching Monday Night Football on TV in my room when the creepy guy from across the hall walks in and says that John Lennon had just been shot.




Shocked, we both turned to look at him and almost at the same time Howard Cosell announced Lennon’s death on the TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n73GFvAyIjs&feature=player_embedded

I worked alone in the shop the next day listening to nothing but Beatles and Lennon songs on the radio and thinking about what had happened.

As it turned out my assistant is the youngest person I know who ever saw the Beatles play live in concert.
When he was about five years old his mother took him to see them and all he remembers is that all of the girls, including his mother, screamed for the whole concert.

When I catch up to this time in my blog again you will see that this tragic moment was just a small part of a very crazy five weeks in my life.






.

No comments:

Post a Comment