Friday, January 14, 2011

Leaving New Hampshire

I enjoyed the people I worked with in New Hampshire, but it was the working conditions were tough.
As I have in the past I have gone through programs and have looked up some of the people I have worked with to see where they are now and what they are doing.
As noted in a past post, George, the actor who played Scrooge is still living and working in Manchester.
He was a good guy and made those from out of town feel welcome.

I found out that the extra stage manager who they let design the lights is currently works at Lincoln Center in NYC.
Although he was not able to help too much in the shop I liked my assistant and we shared the experience of living in the “welfare hotel” and I was glad he was there when ever the “creepy guy from across the hall” was around.
Besides talking about him seeing the Beatles we talked about many different things including the poet Richard Brautigan whose new book The Tokyo-Montana Express I was reading at the time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Brautigan


He is best known for his book Trout Fishing in America.
I enjoyed the book but I think I enjoy the folk group that took its name even better.
I have seen them perform live twice and would recommend both their music and Brautigan’s books.





I found out that my assistant, Steve Witting, did do a little more technical theatre but turned to the Dark Side and became an actor full time.
Some of you may remember him as a Burt on TV in The Hogan Family in the late 1980’s.
He has done a number of movies and was recently in Shutter Island and on Boardwalk Empire on HBO.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0937059/

A year later I would run into staff Technical Director who ran the Palace Theatre while I was walking through Madison Square Park in NYC.
At the time I could not remember his name or where we had worked together but just had a general “Hi how are you doing” conversation.
It took a while but I finally remembered him hours later.
I found that he does lighting work in the Boston and surrounding New England area.

Someplace I still have a pair of scissors that I accidently took from the Theatre when I left.
Unfortunately I never got any production photos of the play so the scissors are my only memento of my time working in New Hampshire.

Just as I had done a few months before, I moved back to Long Island and begin again to look for work.
It was January 1981 and things were a bit slow at first  but soon they would pick up and the next chapter in my adventures would begin.




.

No comments:

Post a Comment