Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Shadow Box


After a wild time with the Sci-Fi adventure the next play was completely different.
The Shadow Box by Michael Cristofer won both the Tony and Pulitzer for best play.
A powerful but difficult play to enjoy it tells three overlapping stories about families dealing with a member dying of cancer.
It is set a cabin like building used by a hospital as a hospice or halfway house for families if the sick patients.
The Shadow Box


For the second time that year I got to be both the Technical Director and Lighting Designer.
The old Lighting Design teacher was still there, but I sure he was busy trying to figure what he was going to do after May when his job ended.
They may have given him a break so he would have time to apply for a new job which he did get, but did not stay long at.

 

The set was not a bad design and did not offer too many problems to build, unlike this year when I had only 3 students in my Stagecraft class, back then I had 15 students plus several work-study and temp-service workers.
As he often did, the Scene Designer cut some live trees down to put on the set and he would do it again for the next show and again the next year.
The Shadow Box,  Lighting Design

The biggest problem with the set was the material that the Scene designer had chosen.
Back then we were still mostly using traditional canvas covered flats but for that production he chose to cover the walls with paneling.
The problem was that the paneling he chose was cheap, thin and would break very easily as we worked with it.
But that was not the real problem.
The paneling was made with glue that had Urea-Formaldehyde in it.
It was banned for use in home insulation in 1982 but was still in many products in 1985 when we did the play.
When we cut the paneling it released the Urea-Formaldehyde and it caused many problems with the workers effecting some severely.
Burning in the lungs, rashes and other fun problems were common and I threw it all away as soon as the play was over.

As I looked over the program for the play I see that at least three of the former students have a hand in running theatres in Rochester, New York City and Los Angles.
Of those that I am still in contact, mostly thanks to Facebook, I know that many went on to do at least some work in Theatre or the related Arts.
One of my Stagecraft students from that class came back to school here last year and worked as our Prop Mistress.

The play went well and I was happy with how both the set and lights looked.
Well one night we thought that the older actress in the play had really died as she sat slumped in her wheelchair, but I am happy to report she is still alive pushing 90 as I write this post.
We the subject matter, Cancer, Death and a little Homosexuality, it was not a play that people “Liked” but enjoyed and were glad to have seen it.
The Scene Designer wanted a modern looking fireplace on the set and I adapted two Linnebach Projectors to be the top and bottom of it.

I had actually used the projectors as they were intended to be used when I designed the set for the master Builder back at Michigan.
Now that school is over for the summer I hope to catch up on my blog posts and also get better scans of my slides. 



 
.

No comments:

Post a Comment