Friday, March 8, 2013

Working a Musical, 1986


The musical Working , based on Studs Turkel’s book of the same name, was in the final five for selection for next year’s season of plays here at the College at Brockport but it lost out to another show.
Actually three of the final five were musicals we were considering were ones that we had done before but we chose to go with a new show that is still running in NYC.
We have not officially released the show titles for next year so I will have to wait to tell you.
Hint: Puppets
 
We did Working in December of 1986 and I thought it was very well done.
By the time I sit through the technical and dress rehearsals for most plays I have seen them more than enough, but there are a few shows I like to see every performance if I can.
Our production of Working was one that I watched it several times from the theatre and also the control booth.
The show had a cast of 15 and I think I am still in contact with about half of them as well as some of the crew through Facebook.
Working, 1986
 
The set was simple, an eight foot high scaffold type platform with staircases up each end.
The 2x4 wood legs were covered with carpet tubes and painted to look like metal pipes.
One of the tubes was used as a smoke stack on the upstage side of the platform.
We had our fog machine attached to it and puffed out smoke several times during the play and because it leaked there was always just a little smoke drifting out of the pipe.
 
Instead of standard acting cubes we used wire milk crates, “borrowed from the local Wegmans”, for the actors to sit on.
I made Lazy Susan pieces that fit on the top of some of the crates and three actresses used them to spin back and forth during their section of the play.
 
Back in 1986 we did not have motion lights so I used a color wheel without any color but with added tape crisscrossing the openings for a special effect.
I used this effect to suggest truck headlights in the Brother Trucker number.
I would use the same effect 15 years later for the play Guppies part of the Festival of Ten, II.
For that play I used the effect to simulate air bubbles in water.
Today I would use one of our motion lights or gobo spinners to do the effect.
 
The next play up that season was Master Harold and the Boys in February of 1987.
More on that play coming up next.


***
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment