Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Biloxi Blues, 1994


Neil Simon’s Biloxi Blues was our last play of the 1993-4 season.

This was a multi-scene play that had several smaller set pieces rather than one large set.




We had a student scenic designer and it was of the first plays that I did all of the working drawing on computer using a simple CAD program.

I would receive a grant for a new computer and AutoCAD program and takes AutoCAD classes in the Fall of 1994 but this was my first try at computer drawing.
Drawn with AutoSketch, this was also one of the last shows that I would use traditional flats before transitioning to Hollywood hard-covered flats.







The mostly male cast show was set in the 1940’s during World War II.
The need for period looking hair lead to a fun publicity opportunity when all of the cast were photographed at a local barbershop getting crew or “buzz cuts” as the actors had almost all of their hair cut off.
The photoshoot was also a good bonding experience for the cast who worked well together and put on a good production.

At the same time of the production of the play I was planning my first time away from Brockport in a long time as I was going off to Connecticut to be a Technical Director for an Equity summer stock Theatre company.
It had been eighteen years since I had first done summer Theatre as a twenty year old crew member but now I was going to be in charge of the crew and building the sets.
.


No comments:

Post a Comment