Monday, June 25, 2018

Pump Boys and Dinettes, 1994


Typical of most summer stock theatres, we had very little time to build the shows.
We had about three weeks to build the set for the first show, Pump Boys and Dinettes.
Maybe more of a concert, it was a small musical in which the actors played all off the instruments onstage.
Knowing the space well, the scene designer did a great job fitting the set into the space while working with all of the needs of the play.
As is the case for many good looking sets, it looked deceptively simple but it had some interesting elements and was not too difficult to build.




It was a unit set with four main parts, a small diner and gas station unit on either side of the stage, a forced perspective road running upstage to the painted horizon and a large curved false proscenium covered with 6 inch wooden planks.
Luckily the producer bought, rented or stole most of the props and set dressings form another production of the show.



Because of that we did not have to make the counters, swiveling seats or advertising menu signage for the diner set the build went fast with few problems.
The false proscenium was the only thing that gave me a concern.
As I was not sure how, with a limited crew, that we could put it up but as I continued to work on the construction drawings it came to me how to divide the unit into smaller pieces that could be easily handled.
The pieces of the upper part of the proscenium were joined side-by-side and then the hanging hardware and cables were attached.
After the top section was flown out the two narrower side pieces were stood up and attached.
It is a great feeling when the vision of how to get something done right and safely comes to you, but until it does there can be some moments of anguish.

Fortunately past experiences and learning from earlier mistakes (someone else's, not mine off course) makes each new project a bit easier and less stressful but still there always can be some difficult moments on any production.
The set required some nice touches as we made a "Diner" sign that lit up and hung a big round "Gas" sign on the other side.
The “Gas” did not look quite right and I thought that the pole holding the sign needed a little something at the end.
Of course the something that I thought it needed was back in my shop in Brockport so I called one of my assistants who was back in town to go into my shop and mailed me a 8" pointed metal finial.
It came in time for the show and I think it was the right thing to finish the set.
The set looked great and I think everyone was happy with it.



There was this one little distraction during the run of the show.
As I did not run the shows, I spent most show nights either in my room or drafting working drawings for the next production.
On show just I got back to my room there was a large BANG and the lighting flashed.
Not sure what happened I went back to theatre to find out that the building had been hit by lightning causing a limited power outage.
Although some power and lighting was restored the stage lighting was out.
After an almost hour delay the producer decided to continue the show with just two 1000 watt work lights on the stage.
The audience was offered tickets to another show if they did not want to stay but after arranging for baby sitters and a nice dinner out nobody took the offer.
The audience who stayed had a very interesting evening that must have stories to talk about for a long time after.
The stage lighting was restored the next day and the rest of the run went off without a hitch.





* * *



No comments:

Post a Comment