Friday, August 10, 2018

Cinderella, 1994


The last play I worked on in 1994 was Cinderella.
I am sure it was a wonderful production but I have few clear memories of it.
I do not have a copy of the program and few photos of it but mostly my haziness of the show was caused by the death of my grandmother just before the show.

She was 102 and had lived quite an interesting life.
I wrote about her in an earlier blog post and will write more about her as I recently came into more photos and paperwork about her early life.

https://viewsfrombackstage.blogspot.com/2012/03/oh-boy-by-jerome-kern-and-p-g-woodhouse.html

So what can I tell you about our Cinderella.
First thing is that we rented, bought or stole the set from another local college who had recently done a production of the play.


Cinderella, 1994


I do not think that they were the same script, one of them might have been a musical version, but I am not sure.
It took at least three trips, 25 miles each way, to move the set to Brockport.

The large pumpkin seen in the photo above was stolen by some college boys who saw the show but we got it back and yes we still have it, now under lock and key.

Here is a photo of me carrying a big foam nose that was part of a giant face you can see on the fireplace.

Me carrying in the Nose.


I do remember that we had a carriage for Cinderella that was able to fly in from across the stage and land on the ground and roll off the other side.
As I recall, Colin, my ATD did most of the rigging to make all the magic work.
I think we used a trap door from which Cinderella’s ball gown would rise up.
That is about all I remember, I do not even know if I designed the lighting or even saw the finished show.

For all the many little things that I remember from shows from even longer ago it is surprising how little I remember about this one.
Well they did not close down the department or college so it could not have been all that bad.

On to 1995 and some new adventures.



* * *




No comments:

Post a Comment