Saturday, December 8, 2018

Recycled Set



I enjoy writing my Blog but often get side tracked as my regular readers can well note.

I posted photos from my last two productions at the college but I have no funny stories to tell you about.
The most interesting thing is how we were able to recycle the set from one into the other.
I have noted many times in my Blog how I have been able to reuse sets pieces from past productions.
This practice saves both time and money although there are times we choose to build from scratch as a teaching moment for our students..

The scene designer for the The Triangle Factory Fire Project design a set that was made up of approximately 40 two wide flats ranging in length from 1’-2” up to 12’-0”.
A little less than half of them came from our stock.






The scene designer for the next play, Prelude to a Kiss wanted to use a multi-panel projection screen and decided to re-use the flats from the previous production.
We cut some of the flats to new sizes and only had to make one from scratch.
We had to remove the newspaper that was pasted on the flats for The Triangle Factory Fire Project.
I bought special wallpaper removing spray and tools, but it was just plain old water and elbow grease that worked best.
Once dry, a bit of light sanding and a fresh coat of grey paint made the flats ready to use again.


Rear View

We did have to make 65 sections of threaded rod cut to about 10 inches long that connected the panels and kept them evenly spaced apart.



I think both sets looked good and worked well for the shows.



* * *

No comments:

Post a Comment