Monday, August 16, 2010

A few more thoughts about my Blog

As I have written about my adventures over this past year, it has been hard for me not to always say “This was the best time of my life”!
Well working in Theatre has been the best time of my life.
Each production whether they were large or small, offered interesting problems and challenges that were fun to figure out.
As I think back to my time in grad school (about which I have been most recently writing in my blog) we had a dozen or more talented grad students working together on the productions along with the teachers and undergrad students, it seemed to me at the time that we were doing great work, having a great time and that we were unstoppable.

I thought the shows were all great and that we were doing the best Theatre ever done.
Well they were good, maybe not the best ever, but for me at the time it was a great experience.
I started to learn how to draft in High School, learned more in college but now I was using my skills to design things.
Things that I thought up and drew out on paper were being built in the shop and lights in the theatre set up and focused using my plans.
People were working on things that I designed, of course I felt great.

As I look back today to my work over the years I can be honest with myself, I know how things really were; I know what was really good, what was bad and what turned out so-so, but it was all special to me.

I have always known that I was lucky to come into the world of Theatre; to be able to stay there and make a living doing what I love.
Of course working on the big productions with lots of money, time and staff is fun; but I have also enjoyed getting the chance to work on smaller and more challenging shows in smaller theatres with limited resources.
Sometimes it is while working on small productions; working alone, wearing too many hats, complaining about the conditions, but still finding a way to get it done - is when I have found the greatest enjoyment.

Back in college and grad school I did not know where my career path would lead me but I was determined to enjoy the ride.
I never have worried too much about if I was working in the right or best theatre or school but have tried to make each production the best I could.
Not every play I have worked on has been a great success, but I have always tried to give my best to every production.

Since becoming a teacher I have enjoyed helping others start their own journey into the world of Theatre and I am happy and proud when I hear of the success of my former students.
As I write about my past adventures I do want my readers to think that I view them as my “Glory Days”, the best years of my life.
I would be nice to think that every moment of our lives are the special golden moments, the best days of our lives, and if you enjoy each moment as its comes and make the best of them you will be happy.

Yes I am proud of the work I have I done, I did enjoy them working on them all, but it is the current play, that always the most important production to me.
I have been asked many times if I am sad on closing night, when I have to take a set down, and my answer is always the same; No.
It is the journey; the research, the designing, calculating and building of each show that I enjoy.
When a show is over it is time to move on to the next one and the start of a new adventure.

As I start the second year of my blog I hope to have more interesting stories to share with my readers as I go back and review what I have done, where I have been and where I still may be going.

No comments:

Post a Comment