Sunday, August 30, 2009

Growing Up, Thinking about College

My Junior year was very busy for me as I worked on six different play plus a few music concerts.
The experience I had gained from working on all the different productions at school plus the ones with the Sayville Musical Workshop had given me the confidence to think that I might try a career in Theatre.
When I applied to college I decided to give a career in Theatre a chance.
I was not sure about it, but I thought I would try it out and see if I liked it, and 35 years later I am still trying to figure out what I want to do when I grow up.
Some days I love it and other days I hate it and that it has more to do with the teaching then the working in Theatre itself.
My comments and stories about teaching are yet to come as I still had to finish High School, go to College and Grad school plus some time working in New York City and some regional Theatre.

I look back at photos of me in High school and I was a late bloomer.
As a Freshman looked liked a kid, maybe 5‘-1“.
Senior year would bring a few less shows but lots of changes.
I finally reached my towering current height of 5’- 8 “ and did not look so much like a little kid any more.
All the work on the plays and maturing a bit gave me a little more confidence in life.
Our school cast parties, New Year’s Eve and other parties were a little more fun now that I was “grown up“, well almost.
My friends and I did not always work in the theatre and I remember a group of us going to Heckscher State Park to play a some softball or toss a Frisbee.
We really did not have enough for any teams nor did anyone bring a bat or ball, we just paired up in couples and went in different directions and "explored" paths in the woods for a while.
It was not all work for me all the time, we did take time for fun.

Like all High Schools there were many different groups or cliques of students.
I never really thought about it too much back then but I guess I was in several.
Of course I was in the Theatre clique but I was also in the Honor Society plus other sub groups like the students who studied computers, played chess, former alter boys and those who collected stamps and other odd bits.
I liked having many different freinds and interests.

My Big Senior Year Musical was next.

No comments:

Post a Comment