Sunday, August 16, 2009

Outside of Theatre

Unlike writing a book I have not written all of my blog posts before they are posted.
I have taken some time today to review a list of all the plays that I worked on in high school and with the Sayville Musical Workshop.
They total about 18 plays and musicals.
I will have to go through my collections on programs to check a few titles and dates.
As I have made my list it has brought back many memories.
Some are very clear and others I have not thought about in a long time and are a bit fuzzy.
I am sure as I write I will need to go back a correct a few items and some will be out of order.

At the time I was in High School did not know that Theatre could or would become my career.
At 15, 16 or 17 what did I think?
Who knows, I was a teenager.

What did I do in addition to Theatre?
In Junior High I was a “mathathlete“, we played other schools solving math problems to score points.
I don’t remember how many games we played or if we won or lost.
I also worked on the school paper, OK it was more a newsletter and I think I mostly worked on the lettering of the masthead on the ditto master.
Do you remember the smell of dittos?

I High School I briefly worked on the yearbook, I know I this because my photo is in that section of the yearbook one year.
There was a chess club, honor society and senior year I got to play on computers.

10 Print “Hello”
20 Go to 10
99 End

I also rode my bicycle a lot, even after I got to drive the family car.
My longest trip was about 30 miles round trip which I did few times.
I need to get a new bike and ride again.

What was I planning to do in college?
I was thinking about studing Engineering or History or maybe become a teacher.
The SAT’s did not have a place for Theatre in the intended major check-off box.
But as I worked on each play I enjoyed Theatre more.
Even as I went to SUNY Buffalo I was not sure about Theatre, but I thought I would give it a try.

But I am jumping ahead of myself and I have more stories to tell about my High School days.

No comments:

Post a Comment